Go to Top

Training and Research Visa

Training and Research Visa

Who is this visa for?

The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program.

The Training and Research visa has three streams:

Occupational Trainee stream: for people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.

Professional Development stream: for professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia. The program usually lasts up to 18 months.

Research stream: for professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.

Applicants for a Training and Research visa must be sponsored by:

• an approved training and research sponsor

• an approved professional development sponsor

• an approved visiting academic sponsor

• an approved occupational trainee sponsor (for sponsorship applications lodged before 24  November 2012)

Applicants must:

• be at least 18 years of age

• meet the requirements of the visa for the stream in which they are applying

• have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia

• have adequate financial support for themselves and accompanying family members while in Australia

• have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia

• meet health and character requirements