Who is this visa for?
The Skilled Regional visa (subclass 489) is a points tested temporary visa for skilled migrants. This Skilled visa requires sponsorship by an Australian State/Territory, or eligible Australian relative.
Like all Skilled visas, applicants must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for the visa. This visa is a provisional visa that provides a two-step pathway to Australian permanent residence for visa holders. This visa allows skilled workers and their families to live and work in specified areas in Australia for up to four years. The specified areas where visa holders must live depends on whether the applicant was nominated by a State/Territory government, or by a family member.
To qualify for this visa you must:
• to apply have an occupation on the relevant occupation list
• meet any additional State eligibility and nomination criteria, if applicable
• have a positive skills assessment in the occupation, issued less than three years ago
• have a qualifying score of at least 60 in the points test
• have a score of at least 6 in each component of IELTS, or it’s equivalent score in any accepted English language testing system, unless you have an exempt passport
• lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and receive an invitation to apply
• be under the age of 50 at the time of invitation to apply
• meet health and character requirements
• lodge the visa application within the specified period of the invitation to apply
Nominate by an Australian State/Territory, or family member can provide an additional 10 points. You must be committed to live in the specified area for the required duration. This visa is for 4 years, which can be converted into a subclass 887 Permanent Residence visa, once eligible and the criteria is met.