Who is this visa for?
The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is a points based permanent visa option for skilled migrants that allows you to settle anywhere in Australia. This Skilled visa does not require the sponsorship of an Australian employer, state/territory government, or an eligible family member. It is assessed solely on the skills of a visa applicant.
In order to be invited to apply for this visa you must achieve a minimum of 60 points. The system is targeted to meet Australia’s skills needs and is not a first-in-first granted approach to visa grants. Invitations to apply for a visa are offered to the highest ranking scores.
To qualify for this visa you must:
• to apply have an occupation on the relevant Skilled occupation list
• have a positive skills assessment in the occupation, issued less than three years ago
• have a qualifying score of at least 60 in the points test
• have a score of at least 6 in each component of IELTS, or it’s equivalent score in any accepted English language testing system, unless you have an exempt passport
• lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and receive an invitation to apply
• be under the age of 50 at the time of invitation to apply
• lodge the visa application within the specified period of the invitation to apply
• meet health and character requirements
Points are awarded based on the applicant’s age, English ability, work experience and qualifications, amongst others. There are two invitation rounds each month, where invitations are issued to applicants. For some occupation groups, a limit may be applied to the number of invitations issueunder the skills based migration program.